Borough of Carlisle Employment Opportunity
Wastewater Treatment Plant Senor Operator 1
BOROUGH OF CARLISLE
The Borough of Carlisle is dedicated to providing a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religious creed, ancestry, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
This is a great opportunity to work in an organization that supports a diverse community! We offer an inclusive, family-friendly culture that values the contributions of every employee, and we seek dedicated individuals who share our commitment to excellence in public service.
Are you an experienced wastewater plant operator who takes pride in public service? Are you looking for an organization that provides opportunities for professional growth?
We also welcome and encourage applications from Borough residents and historically underrepresented groups.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
Insurance Coverage Starts Day 1 of Employment
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Life and disability insurance
Employee assistance program
Professional development and training
Paid leave and holidays
POSITION Wastewater Treatment Plant Senior Operator I
DEPARTMENT Public Works Wastewater Treatment Plant
REPORTS TO Wastewater Treatment Plant Senior Operator II
FLSA STATUS Full-time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE Rotating 4-week schedule (8-hour shifts plus
30-minute lunch period): Monday through Friday 1st shift: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (3 weeks)
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 1st shift: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (1 week)
PAY $28.47/hr - $35.16/hr - dependent on experience
BOROUGH OF CARLISLE
POSITION SUMMARY: This position operates the municipal wastewater treatment plant on a daily basis but also assists with the organization and coordination of work activities for the operation and maintenance of the Borough’s Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant and related facilities, including remote pump stations, hydrogen peroxide feed stations, wastewater conveyance system, and solids handling facilities.
The Senior Operator I does not normally have formal oversight of staff, but will closely assist the supervisor and will serve as plant and staff supervisor in the absence of the supervisor. The incumbent will serve as a lead to plant operators and mechanics by demonstrating initiative and leadership, promoting and maintaining a positive Borough image, and fostering pride and professionalism in the workplace.
The Senior Operator I provides exceptional customer service and is expected to uphold the public interest and advance the vision set forth by the Borough and community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions may include the customary duties and responsibilities noted herein, however, the information below is not an exhaustive list of duties and instead serves as a representative sample of the expectations of the position.
- Assist the supervisor with oversight of work performed at the Wastewater Treatment Plant facility to ensure the treated effluent complies with all state and federal requirements; may serve as a primary point of contact for emergencies; serve as plant and staff supervisor and point of contact in the absence of the supervisor.
- Assist with planning and facilitating the day-to-day activities of treatment plant operators and mechanics, treatment processes, and equipment; may assist with preparing reports for various regulatory agencies on wastewater treatment plant performance and discharge monitoring.
- Assist with review of operational logs and records to ensure accuracy and completeness; evaluate treatment processes; maintain and calibrate process analyzers; monitor process flows and operating parameters; adjust pumping rates and dissolved oxygen levels as needed; oversee chemical feed systems; conduct process monitoring and performance sampling; keep records of chemicals used and tests performed.
- Assist with developing, updating, and implementing standard operating procedures for the efficient and safe operation of the plant such as maintaining plant facility and grounds and proper use and storage of equipment and supplies; make recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards, policies, and procedures; participate in the implementation of approved policies and procedures.
- Assist with identification and review of resource needs and responsible use of department funds; may order equipment and supplies for the plant and code invoices for payment; maintain records concerning operations and programs; may prepare reports on operations and activities.
- Lead by example by providing or assisting with staff training and mentoring; provide shift coverage when necessary; respond to emergency situations as necessary.
- Attend and participate in professional development activities; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of wastewater treatment.
- Operate the wastewater treatment plant and perform ongoing and preventive maintenance duties which include periodic inspection of mechanical equipment and making adjustments to pumps, motors, chlorinators, and other chemical feed equipment.
- Regulate the flow of wastewater and sludge through the treatment processes; put treatment units in and out of service; regulate the addition of chemicals to the process; record meter readings; maintain log sheets and charts; collect wastewater and sludge samples and conduct standard chemical analyses of collected samples.
- Perform other duties and assist other departments as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFYING CRITERIA: An equivalent combination of credentials and experience to sufficiently perform the duties of the position may be considered:
- Graduation from high school or vocational school or GED with supplementary post-secondary course work in wastewater treatment, chemistry, or microbiology.
- Five years of increasing responsibility in wastewater treatment plant operations and maintenance.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania Class A Wastewater Treatment Operator Certificate with Subclass 1.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/QUALITIES: The ideal candidate should possess the following:
- Present a positive image and attitude on a daily basis.
- Advanced knowledge of principals, practices, materials, and methods of wastewater treatment; knowledge of safety procedures and occupational hazards involved in wastewater treatment, collection, and conveyance.
- Ability to inspect wastewater system facilities and identify and schedule needed maintenance work; ability to perform skilled wastewater system maintenance tasks, conduct tests and sampling, monitor and adjust plant processes; operate a variety of equipment and tools necessary to maintain the wastewater treatment plant and related facilities.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to perform chemical dosing, pumping, and typical wastewater treatment process control calculations.
- Ability to coordinate, supervise, organize, and direct the operation and maintenance activities of the Borough’s wastewater treatment plant and related facilities in the absence of supervisor.
- Ability to respond to and solve problems in emergency situations; ability to operate assigned equipment safely and efficiently; knowledge of the capability, limitation, and hazard of operating any assigned equipment.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply related general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures and applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices including the ability to supervise, train, and motivate assigned staff.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and schedule employees and equipment to achieve the department’s goals; ability to keep records and do paper work, prepare clear and concise reports including state mandated reports, and prepare and manage assigned budgets.
- Ability to deal courteously and respectfully with staff, co-workers, citizens, ratepayers, and regulatory agents and to carry out the responsibilities of the job with tact and diplomacy; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately and carefully.
- Desire and ability to learn new skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents, contractors, and fellow employees.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described
below are representative of those required for the position.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather conditions.
- Walking, standing; stooping, kneeling, squatting, climbing, twisting, bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Working on irregular surfaces or heights above the ground.
- Use hands to handle, grasp, and write.
- See and communicate effectively.
- Must be able to use body to work, move or carry objects or materials.
Ready to apply?
Applications are on our website: www.carlislepa.org
For questions or to submit your resume and cover letter:
Contact: Mary Peacock, Human Resources Coordinator
Call: 717-240-6925 Fax: 717-240-6615
Mail or Drop Off:
53 West South Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School or GED
Experience Level : Experience Preferred
Job Function : Operator